Mina's Blueberry Pancake Recipe
Pancake day is tomorrow... Must be time to share Mina's favourite recipe with you all! These are big, fluffy American style pancakes with a subtle lemon flavour, filled with delicious blueberries.
This recipe is gluten free (of course!) and you can substitute the milk to create a dairy free version too.
- 325g gluten free all-purpose flour
- 50g granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Half a teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Half a teaspoon salt
- Half a teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 large eggs
- 55g unsalted butter, melted or vegetable oil
- 480ml buttermilk (or use 475ml milk with a teaspoon of vinegar stirred in and left to rest for 10 minutes)
- half a teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh or frozen blueberries (if using frozen ones, there's no need to defrost them. They're easier to stir through while still frozen!)
- grated lemon zest
To make dairy free, simply use a non-dairy milk of your choice instead of full fat cow milk and add 1 extra tbsp of oil to help them brown.
- Heat a griddle or a large frying pan over medium heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and xantham gum until well blended. Make a well in the centre and set aside.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a large jug then gradually whisk in the melted butter until evenly combined. Whisk in the buttermilk, then stir in the lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- Pour the liquid mixture into your bowl of flour, all at once. Mix until combined, and carefully stir in the blueberries.
- Grease your preheated griddle or frying pan. Ladle or spoon the batter onto it so each pancake is the roughly the size of your palm. Mina used an ice cream scoop to make sure they were all the same size and would cook at the same rate.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. When the pancakes bubble and rise and the underside is golden brown, turn them over and cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes. Adjust the heat to avoid overcooking!
- Mina's top tip to keep them warm and fluffy until you've finished cooking them all! Take a clean tea towel and pop it onto a large plate with half the tea towel hanging off the edge of the plate. As you finish cooking each pancake, place it on the plate and fold the other half of the tea towel over to keep them warm and cosy until you're ready to all eat together.
- Serve hot with maple or blueberry syrup and fresh blueberries, or whatever else takes your fancy! We're partial to some Greek yoghurt, runny honey and bananas.
*Of course Mina used some of our Wildcraft plain cake flour. So you'll need to keep an eye on the liquid content and possibly add a splash more milk according to how your mix feels. It should be a soft, dropping consistency a bit like mayonnaise. If it's too liquid, you might also need a pinch more xanthan gum, mixed in a tablespoon or so of flour. Different flours will absorb different quantities of milk.